Sunday, June 28, 2009

Seven days and counting....

Oh yeah, in seven days I am heading out of the country. I am very excited about it. I know that this is going to be an experience like no other. Hopefully!

I have to prepare mentally. I didn't really think about the prospect of having to share a room. The professor confirmed the strong possibility of having a roommate of two or three. I haven't shared a room with anyone since I was married almost a decade ago. Luckily, I know the two ladies that I may be rooming with; however, I don't know them THAT well...but it IS part of the experience, right?

I was able to obtain my immunizations on Friday for Ecuador which consisted of Tetanus, Hep A and Measles. My shoulder STILL hurts from the Tetanus..but it is totally worth it! I didn't find out until a few hours ago that I should have gotten the Typhoid immunization. Hopefully, I will be fine and since we will be in the Highland Andes...I am hoping all will be well.

I have never been one who requires luxury--although a fine bottle of Olive Oil, or a Chilean red wine is about as close as I get. I am no frills kind of gal and like things to be as simple as possible, except when it comes to my career. I want things to be a mystery for me to solve. I have my own imaginary "Mystery Van" in my head with Scooby Doo and crew in tow. That being said, I am truly hoping for a drama-free five weeks as much as could possibly be drama-free.

I dreamt last night that the three of us ladies were in this room that was small and very tight. As I explored the rest of the room and hotel, I discovered that we were on a pirate ship. I remember walking to the back of the room we were in and found a huge room with a king-sized bed, marble floors and gold fixtures. It was beautiful! I went to the front of the hotel room and told the girls I was going to sleep in the back. I guess I made out!!

Suddenly, the professor came to the room and announced that there was a problem. One of the other people were missing, as if they never got ON the plane headed for Ecuador. Shortly after, I woke up.

I knew that I wasn't missing, because I was right there in the dream! I am excited, nervous, and penniless. I am REALLY hoping that I get another check from my job before I leave. They are heavily behind in payroll. So, if I get something while I am gone, my 'other' mom is going to take the checks to the bank. I know that things will work out...just want to be sure I will not be too uncomfortable for too long. I mean, I WAS homeless in North Carolina and camped out at campsite. My daughter would take the school bus to and fro the campsite to school. She would get dropped off, we would do homework and swim. This went on for a month. It was a crazy time with NO stability. That I hated. I can roll with the punches and go with the flow, yet when I get home I MUST have stability.

I picked up the huge duffel bag from the shoe repair shop, clothes from Salvation Army, and still need to get my travel insurance and a few more items so that I know that I will have all that I need while I am gone.

Man, I'm going to miss my children. That's the hard part. The prospect of adventure adn expedition get my blood pumping. However, as time is growing closer, I realize that I will not see my children for almost 45 days. It's is hard and weird, but I never thougt I could love the way that I love my kids. There is NO love great than that--grey hairs that have each are named for my children and all.

It's getting super late. I have tons on my mind, yet haven't fleshed them out enough to have concrete phrases to explain where my head is. All I have is a very long stream of consciousness
without filters, without clarity, just emotion and wonderings and wandering of my mind.

Until next time!!

No comments: