Sunday, July 5, 2009

36 hours and counting...


Ok, I am SUPER excited! I leave for Ecuador this coming Monday, July 6th, 2009. I have completely packed--actually...the bag is zipped up and ready to go at the front door. Wow!! It is amazing how much one can fit into a duffle bag to sustain one for five weeks. I have always been a minimalist (except for cooking...) and had to REALLY think about what I may need to take with me. First and foremost--the weather--at first we (those of us that are going) were under the impression that we will be in warmer to temperate weather...then a colleague and I kept an eye on the weather--highs in the low 70s, lows in the 40s. So, I had to re-think my packing choices. I decided to pack to dress in layers. This way, if I get warm, I take a layer off, if I get cold, I can add a layer.

I packed lots of T-shirts, cargo pants, socks, hiking boots, thermal tops, a sweatshirt, an impermeable rain coat, a pull-over Nike windbreaker, lots of undergarments, toiletries and a few night pants and sleeping t-shirts. I am only hoping that will have what I need. I cannot afford to purchase extras because I was too lazy to pack 'something'. I procured my travel insurance, immunizations (the tetanus shot is STILL killing my shoulder!!) and am just ready to get on the road and start this new adventure. OH--I have to complete a ceramics description for my professor before I leave. I guess I will be taking care of THAT later today (since it is now 12:40a.m. on Sunday!). My daughter really wants me to go to church (9a.m. Mass) to ensure that I am sent on my way with a blessing. I am of the mindset that I have great energy around me and that everything will be okay--no matter what!

Since today is the 4th of July, I cooked...a bit more than I had anticipated, we had unexpected guests--it was great that came up, don't get me wrong, yet, they do not eat beef or pork. (I am slowly weaning my family off of pork, so this time all I had pork-wise were hot dogs!) I ended up grilling salmon filets, chicken thighs, corn, hamburgers and hot dogs and prepared a nice potatoe salad. My brother prepared spinach peleponnese. The day was great with the exception of my car dying, but I will take care of that once I return. I am putting the car tradgedy to the bottom of the to-do list.

I think the most challenging aspect was not OVER-packing. I had to remember that this is a job, not a vacation. Although, it is a vacation from my life of mayhem...so for me it is a "working vacation".

I am going to stay with my "other" mom and she will take me to the airport and pick me up upon my return.

Ok, it's the Fourth of July and as customary, the Twilight Zone is in a marathon. I happened to come upon one called "Deaths-head Revisited" which is about a Nazi who returns to Dachau concentration camp to relive memories. In the end, he realizes the horror the concentration camps brought. And he wondered why the concentration camp wasn't torn down and destroyed. Suddenly he realizes that the camps aren't destroyed because standing, they are a reminder of our past and what NOT to do. I find this very interesting since we are going to excavate Inca architecture...the structures used by the Incas under Altuawallpa...who knows maybe the structures that are still there are reminders of what not to do, or of what should be done. I guess trowel-to-dirt will only tell. I also wonder if Rod Serling has a premonitionistic mind--so many of his Twilight Zone episodes are relavent today. The original Twilight Zone ran from 1959-1964 with a movie in 1983 and a revival series from 1985-1989...but they just were NOT the same as the original.

Well, in the meantime, I will be digging in the dirt and hopefully, uncovering some Inca architecture and what-nots! As I am closing this blog, the Twilight Zone on is entitled "People Are Alike All Over"... I am beginning to think that there are supernatural forces afoot here, telling me something.

Until next time!

No comments: