Since Spring has sprung, classes have ended, a three-day-a-week job has commenced, I have found myself bored out of my mind! I realize that this is due to a shift in life. I do not have papers to write, mandatory books to read, projects to complete which has comprised the majority of the past seven years of my life. Yet, I have slept more, found laziness to be a luxury and am happily spending tons of time with my children.
All that being said, it has become more apparent the role, or lack thereof, of the seniors in our American society. I have read many articles and books that outline the place the older generation in teaching the younger generations about life. Yet, I notice more and more how the geriatric aspect of the American society is pushed aside. There is no knowledge passed down and that which is attempted is shrugged off with a "you just don't get it!" from the younger generation.
It is very sad. Just the other day my mother and I were talking about my great-grandmother with whom I absolutely enjoyed speaking. She did not judge, she did not criminalize me for my nonconformist attitude at such a young age, and she loved me in a way that only a
great-grandmother can!
I can remember sitting in her kitchen while she was making Shrimp Gumbo expressing a frustration and she would give the Gumbo a good stir, hit the wooden spoon on the ridge of the pot to ensure little excess would be left on the stove, where she would place the spoon. She would then wipe her hand on a dish towel, turn and look at me and say "Baby, don't let anyone get you all frustrated inside. When you do, you give them your power." She would then sit with me at the table and tell me one of her life stories, which at times seemed something out of an Aesop's Fable.
The point is that no matter what she said, I listened...I WANTED to listen. I enjoyed our time together.
She passed away when I was in my mid-twenties. Oddly enough, she was the second wife of my great-grandfather, who had passed away a few years before my great-grandmother.
I miss her.
My observations in boredom have taken me back in time to realize the at least ONE treasure I had in my life, that treasure will always comprise a huge part of my heart, with plans on passing my knowledge to the younger generation, and hope they will listen as intently as I did.
The older generation in our American society needs to be needed. They have many stories to tell and really want to help people to learn lessons through life in an easier way, when possible. Do not misunderstand me, there are many older citizens who have not come to peace with their lives, and will not be so open to discussing their experiences, but when you find one who is--they are a treasure....so listen, listen intently without distraction.
It will be a wonderful life experience...and when they are gone, you will always remember a few poignant statements that will be with you no matter where you are in life.
It is interesting how there are many studies on growing old, dying, geriatric diseases--but what about the impact of their knowledge on American society? It would be interesting to find a book of lesson by the older generation to the younger. This would be a book to span time and generations.
Until next time....
No comments:
Post a Comment