
Truly, it is the nuts you have to worry about!!
As my time is closing until my departure for Ecuador, I have come against a few stumbling blocks. Like, the job that I do...I haven't gotten paid yet...I should have received one check by now, and the other is supposed to come on or around June 9th. Well, since I haven't gotten the first one, I imagine the second one will be late also! Oh well, I guess this is paying my dues.
The only problem is this is my only job until I go to Ecuador. I was planning to use the money from the current job to sustain my existence for five weeks in South America. Well, I don't have a plan B, but I gotta figure one out!!
As an anthropologist, that's what an archaeologist is, I tend to look at life from an anthropological perspective. My most recent indulging has been the quizzes on Facebook. You know the ones, "What's your Native American Indian Name?" or "How Many Times Will You Get Married?", yet my recent favorite (I have many) "What Color Are You?". I don't know, I spend hours upon hours taking these quizzes, and sometimes I don't publish the first result, I may take the quiz over and over until I get the desired result. Especially the "Which Celebrity Would Play You in a Movie of Your Life? I kept getting Rachel McAdams, of Reese Witherspoon. Damn! I wanted Angelina Jolie...yet, I couldn't figure out the combination of answers to get Angelina. How intersting is that? I mean, if I took the quizzes multiple times to get a desired result to keep the perception of myself intact in an online community--How many other people do the same thing? It is something to wonder.
What may be more interesting is the quiz that the Facebook user construct entitled "How Well Do You Know ME?" It's sad when siblings cannot get higher than 50% and friends, who are also anthropologists, explain why they answered a question in one way or another. I guess they don't realize that if they answered incorrectly--the answer is WRONG! It doesn't matter the excuse. And no matter how many BIG words you use or the arrogant stance one takes--you are STILL wrong!
Aside from the quizzes, which I will post something more later, some have a persona on Facebook that may or may not mirror real life. After all, the people that are your friends on Facebook, may not have two words to say to you in 'real' life. Does this mean that the accumulation of friends is a status of popularity? Is it really important to be popular in an online social community when you may see the people that are your 'friends' off and on, in real life? What are some of the habits of the 'friends' on Facebook? Well...there are many people with obvious agendas...
You have your "Atheist Activists" who continuously post articles that no one actually reads, for the sake of impressing the University Professor that person has added as a friend.
Oh my, then you have the former professors who recruit current students to save other professors at the university who are in danger of being "let go" do to unscrupulous care and concern of the students.
Anthropology...it is NEVER dull...
Box of chocolates and the nuts in which are contained.
It's the mixed nuts and how we comprise an array of varying perspectives. From the "want to be bigger than life" to the "I'm not what you think I am" and always the "I'm here for nothing more than shock value", we are all special in our own way.
Talk to us one on one, and you will hear a more complete and solid story. For when there is a group of us, our perspectives take over, then our mouths and voices and suddenly we MUST be heard. At this point in my path, I am truly hoping this is the case only in those of us who have not truly solidified our position in our field. Yet, I have feeling that this grows exponentially when one earned the Piled higher and Deeper (PhD). I'm not there yet, but I will be and will give a more comprehensive understanding when I do...give me a few years--I'm quite sure I will have much to say.
Chocolates and nuts...
The chocolate makes the nuts much sweeter and easier to palate!
But each nut has a different flavor, a different shape, a different region whence it came. Just like us old humans...different perspectives...different interests...still human...still nuts....
Until next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment