Friday, May 22, 2009

Reality Kinda Bites!

I received an email from a professor from the previous semester that included comments on a paper I had to write as a requirement for the class. More than that, the paper was a way of beginning to write on a more academic level. I get that! Unfortunately, I procrastinate at just about everything that I do--always have...but I have most recently learned that procrastination is an art and I am just not that creative.

Overall, I did okay on the paper. I'm a bit frustrated that my professor at first said that he "was disappointed", pointed out two quotes that he felt did not fit into my argument, or that he was unable to "understand how they fit" into the paper as a whole and finally stated that he thought the paper was clear and well written. So, I do not get it!

Looking back, I definitely did NOT do as well as I could have because I procrastinated and did not read as much as I should have in order to present a solid and coherent paper. I literally wrote the paper the day before it was due. The day that it was due, I completed the paper and turned it in-without re-reading it. (This is where I let "my mess be my message" as Robin Roberts' mom says)

Note to self:

When a 25 page paper is due, one should being reading as SOON as the paper is assigned. Upon reading, one should DEFINITELY start writing the paper. OR, if nothing else have coherent notes on quote with context of said quotes.

Geez, I have not started grad school yet and I have professor disappointed. I guess that crazy bitch had a point a few semesters ago when she said that there is "no way she could give me a passing grade". Sure this may not come as a surprise to some who are steadfast in studying...I have HORRIBLE study habits. I never truly learned how to study, so I went with what made sense to me. I would wait til the last minute because I "work well under pressure" as I would tell myself all through high school. Yet, I have not been in high school in 19 years.

Yeah, it is time to get on the bus and not be so damn lazy!

Second note to self:

Get in gear. Read a lot, write more!

Final note to self:

Read your work a few times with elapsed time between readings...this way I will present a clearer and stronger paper. It all about have scholarship of the material and the subject matter. This way I can gain ownership and take agency at some point.

Thank the universe for professors like my last one who is willing to throw down the gauntlet in order for me to learn and become a better student.

Until next time!

No comments: