Wednesday, May 20, 2009

So, Here I am! Now What?

I graduated May 7, 2009 from Wayne State University with a BA in Anthropology. I was recently hired to work on lab work regarding Corktown. I have worked on the Corktown Archaeology Project for two field seasons. Most recently on the news I heard the daunting fact of lack of emplyment to those who have graduated the university Class of 2009. This job is a temporary placement, but there is experience in this!

I have gained admission to grad school at Wayne State (WSU), as well. Many people state that it is not a good idea to go to grad school where you went to undergrad. I disagree. I can see the point to some degree, but I feel that I wanted to complete a project (Corktown) before moving on. So, I will be staying in Michigan until I complete the first round of grad degrees.

So, where do I start...? I kind of feel as though this is quite arrogant to place my thoughts and ideas for anyone and everyone to read...but I have a lot to say. And...my professor told me that I should write EVERYDAY. I can use the practice.

Ok, I mentioned that I am attending grad school, but there are a few other interesting door that have opened for me. This July I will be going to Ecuador to excavate with another professor from WSU. I am really excited about the experience, especially since my focus has been Historic Archaeology, I will have the experience of pre-Colombian Inca culture. I'm quite excited!

Then I got the list of all the things I had to take with me...and the preparations...and the possibility of immunizations for Yellowfever and Malaria pills...luckily, I won't have to worry too much, since I will be in the Highland Andes--I do have to update my Tetanus and Measles, but hey, I gotta do what I gotta do!

For the next 46 days, I will work in the WSU Arch Lab assisting in pulling together statistics for the 2008 Corktown Ceramics. It may sounds boring, but to have your hands in various amounts of ceramics that need to be researched and discerned--one gains agency!! To have agency and to own one's work is a powerful feeling! Especially when you get it right!!

My goal for this blogspot is to express my adventures on my path to a PhD and beyond. I hope to bring an interesting insight into what it is like for someone to study anthropological archaeology, work as an archaeologist, have fun and explore life while doing so. Grant it, not everything is fun, yet I am sure there will be great lessons that I will learn.

Until next time!

No comments: